Local 15 will again broadcast Mardi Gras parades on UTV 44
Local 15 Will Again Broadcast Parades on UTV 44
January 12, 2017: For the last two years, WPMI-TV Local 15 has broadcast eight nights of Mardi Gras parades live from downtown Mobile on their sister station, UTV 44.
They’ll be doing it again this year, it was announced today.
Hosted by morning anchor Darwin Singleton, most of the broadcasts will begin at 6:30 p.m. and end at 8 p.m., according to the station.
The broadcasts will also include “special co-host appearances by iHeart Radio’s Colton Bradford and Matt McCoy. UTV44’s Terra Reeves will join the fun this year as well, highlighting the entertainment side of our coverage,” according to a news release from Local 15.
“Special guests and a variety of business leaders will also join us at The Exchange on Government and Conception streets, where we’ll have a bird’s eye view as floats and revelers line the streets,” the release stated. “Event coverage will include local musical acts along with local culinary experts with featured dishes presented.”
Schedules can change, of course, but here are the parades they plan to televise this year:
• Thursday, February 16 – Order of Polka Dots
• Friday, February 17 – Order of Inca
• Monday, February 20 – Order of Venus/Order of Many Faces
• Tuesday, February 21 – Order of LaShe’s
• Thursday, February 23 – Mystic Stripers Society
• Friday, February 24 – Crewe of Columbus
• Saturday, February 25 – Mystics of Time (air time 6 – 7:30 p.m.)
• Monday, February 27 – Infant Mystics/Order of Doves
On Mardi Gras Day, February 28, Local 15 will cover the downtown parades from the Order of Athena through the Comic Cowboys. The MAMGA Mammoth Parade and the Order of Myths will be presented on UTV 44.